Hey everyone! Well, we’re 4 days away from Christmas so I’m sure some of you are about to start your baking/cooking before you know it! I’ve come across a few articles on healthier substitutes for cooking and baking, but sometimes you don’t know what foods these substitutes work best in, and you’re afraid of a disaster. One of my best friends, Katie, works for TIME Inc. and this morning she e-mailed me two great articles. One is on substitutes (with specifics!) and the other is on holiday-food-swaps. Thanks, Katie!
I’ve also pinned a substitute swap from Pinterest, and I’ve seen people share it on Facebook, so I’m going to put that with the swap article from TIME. Hopefully the two will guide you well. And always use your judgement! But at the same time, don’t be afraid. Here you go:
- Healthy Baking Substitutes by picklee: includes substitutions and where they works best. This is a great post by this blogger!
- Top 10 Food Substitutions for Healthier Cooking from TIME: includes substitutions and what ingredients they replace
Quick List of Swaps:
- Apple Sauce for Oil, Butter, Sugar
- Black Beans for Flour
- Mashed Avocado for Butter or Oil
- Bananas for Butter, Sugar, and Fats
- Stevia for Sugar
- Greek Yogurt for Butter, Oil, Mayo, or Sour Cream
- Cocoa Nibs for Chocolate Chips
- Nuts for Croutons
- Rolled Oats for Bread Crumbs
- Squash for Spaghetti (use Zucchini Ribbons or Spaghetti Squash) (Can also use Broccoli Slaw!)
- Mashed Potato (I would use Sweet Potato) for Cream (as thickener like in soup)
Hope these help guide you through the holidays! Enjoy!